Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sunset Magazine Likes My Clients' Parkway!


I was curious when I checked my e-mail in-box last month and saw a message from Sharon Cohoon, senior garden writer for Sunset Magazine and their Fresh Dirt blog.
Hi, Billy. I’m coming up to Santa Barbara the weekend of March 11-12. Mostly to evaluate a hotel for a travel story. Tough assignment, huh? But I was wondering if you had a favorite garden or two you’d want to show off either day? If so, give me a call.
Guess how long it took me to pick up the phone and call Sharon back? A few weeks later I was picking Sharon up at her posh downtown hotel and ferrying her around to some of my favorite designs. When we got to the home of Nicole and Bill, Sharon was nearly breathless upon seeing this parkway erupting with brilliant, twisty, pink flowers floating over dark green foliage -- Grevillea lanigera 'Coastal Gem'.

"This is definitely blogworthy," she said as we drove away. She wasn't kidding. Read her blog post at Fresh Dirt.

5 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Sounds like you had fun. I love when the blogging community gets together!

Vireya said...

Thanks for teaching me a new word - parkway. Here in Australia we call that bit the "nature strip".
Interesting to see some lovely Australians living on a nature strip across the Pacific.

Unknown said...

I cited your post on Mexican evening primrose at http://postocc.blogspot.com/2011/04/long-path-to-primrose-pride.html, but couldn't find a place to comment on it.

Anyway, one thing led to another, and I learned that you designed the Santa Barbara parkway I'd seen a couple of days ago on Fresh Dirt. So it was deja vu time. Congratulations!

Added you to my Google Reader list and look forward to more inspiration.

-- Frances

nick richards said...

My Google search doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. Any recommendations for a USA mail order source for the Coastal Gem or Poorinda Royal Mantle. thanks
Nick

Garden Wise Guy said...

Nick: I don't know of any mailorder sources. You might seek out Jo O'Connell at Australian Native Plant Nursery, near Ojai, CA (link: http://www.australianplants.com/) or check with Annie's Annuals in Richmond CA. Sorry I can't be of more help.