Saturday, December 1, 2007

Pictures can be magical


Agave attenuata (Fox Tail Agave)
Originally uploaded by gardenwiseguy



I just took this photo today. It's an Agave attenuata at Alice Keck Park Memorial Garden. As part of a monthly discipline and as a way to create some content for this blog I've been visiting this great botanical park in downtown Santa Barbara. It's a few blocks from my house and I generally wait for the late afternoon light to soften a bit.

Aside from the SLR camera I owned a few decades ago, I haven't really attempted to be artistic with my camera. It's more about documenting the landscapes I've create for clients and the occasional family shot.

But when I downloaded this shot I was quite stunned at the product. I know I was consciously "composing" something that might turn out nice, but I don't have the imagination or experience to predict what the camera will produce.

How is it that despite all the visual information that was streaming in, I was able to frame and compose just this information?

I love how the human brain works. This truly feels like an act of magic.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I really love the monochromatic tone of this image, as well as the curves.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I have been so busy lately that I have not really spent much time there, plus, with the gardening season over, my GTS has slowed...

Garden Wise Guy said...

Jessica - thanks for leaving a comment. Gets lonely out here on the Left Coast. There are a lot more fun images at my Flickr site (same name - gardenwiseguy). Enjoy the garden down time. We're still pumping out here. GWG

Aiyana said...

Hi,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I'm glad you like it. I don't see you on GTS list, so if you had not stopped by, I wouldn't have found your blog. Have you officially joined? Once you appear on the list and post a GTS photo, you'll get lots of visits.
The Agacve attenuata photo is gorgeous!
Aiyana

Julie said...

It takes a magical brain to recognize magic! Your words sound like someone I would like to know! Thanks for visiting my blog.....I do post things I don't know the names of, but will visit your other site to see if I can identify any of the plants. Great photo!
Julie