Monday, July 28, 2008

AllTop - The One-Stop Blog Shop

I'm not sure how my blog was found, but I was thrilled to get an e-mail from none other than Guy Kawasaki last week (that link to the left takes you to some fun facts at Wiki). If you're an Apple user and have followed the world of Mac computers from the early days, you'll know that Guy was "the guy" charged with developing and marketing these amazing, transformational machines. He's known as the Mac Evangelist for good reason and has a fascinating life story.

Guy was writing to announce that this blog (along with a whole bunch of others) was going to be displayed at a new website called Alltop.com (short for All Topics). I clicked over to the site and realized I had to spread the word to any and all on-line readers and my fellow bloggers.

As their Purpose Statement says...

"We help you explore your passions by collecting stories from “all the top” sites on the web. We’ve grouped these collections — “aggregations” — into individual Alltop sites based on topics such as environment, photography, science, Muslim, celebrity gossip, military, fashion, gaming, sports, politics, automobiles, and Macintosh. At each Alltop site, we display the headlines of the latest stories from dozens of sites and blogs."

The site is broken into a mind-boggling cornucopia of topics (including gardens) which then link to a directory of all the blogs on that topic. It took me about an hour to find my way out, as one rabbit hole seems to seamlessly connect to the next.

I have three connections to Guy, and each speaks volumes about a truly amazing man: (1) He's a close friend of a dear friend who used to baby-sit his kids. Her stories about her early days with Guy are always shared with a blend of excitement about the heady days of Silicon Valley and the reverence for a kind and wise soul; (2) He wrote a fabulous book called "The Art of the Start" that I read to bolster my knowledge about starting a new business and exploring the world of venture capital. Even if you have no interest in starting a business or non-profit, Guy's approach to how to deal with and respect people is worth the read (and it's drop-dead funny, too). (3) I'm a fully-immersed Mac user and can't imagine a life that tethered me to a Gates-World PC.

So please click over for a visit. Alltop.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Billy, mind-boggling cornucopia is right. I took a look at Alltop, it looks like a good tool that'll keep me from doing my work today...

Anonymous said...

Billy, you should have warned that it's not safe for work -- so many topics to readreadread...I'd never get off my break if I clicked any of those links!