Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What I Did On My San Francisco Vacation, by Billy Goodnick




Martha Stewart calls it "repurposing." That's when you find the enamel lid from your mom's old Maytag washer, whip out your Swiss Army plasma torch, transform the shiny white square into a cut-out of Casper the Friendly Ghost and plant it in your foundation shrubs at Halloween.

Fortunately, I don't need super-nova heat to recycle last week's Edhat.com column. Click this and you can read about the adventures of Billy and his lovely but dangerous spousal support unit, Lin, as they take their first 'alone' vacation in 18 years. Then follow the bread crumb trail to my flickr.com site filled with photos from the Strybing Arboretum at Golden Gate Park.

8 comments:

chuck b. said...

Both links go to the edhat.com article, actually.

Garden Wise Guy said...

Chuck - thanks for the info. I've fixed the link. Should be good. Lemme know.

chuck b. said...

Great pictures. I work at UCSF and visit Strybing almost every day. I volunteer there a lot too.

The gardener in charge of the cloud forest section and I agree that Santa Barbara is pretty much California's best gardening climate.

Claude said...

great article...

over on my blog I posted some pics of a tree that I found in a vacant lot... Some sort of juniper I think, with a really great colored trunk and gray leaves... If you have a moment, could you drop by and see if you can ID it? I figured you might have an idea. We can't come up with anything... I really like this tree!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Billy! I love leucadendrons (sp?) Whatever, you know what I'm talking about. I've got to visit SF sometime soon. I usually go for the SF Flower and Garden Show but I don't get out to check out the town.

Doesn't it feel good to get away with your wife? You guys deserve it after all these years.
Shirley

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Love the bamboo and the rest of the photos! I was lucky enough to visit Strybing a few years back. it remains one of my favorite arbs/gardens!
~Monica (who's ready for a little change in her gardening zone!)

websanfrancisco said...

Your post made me curious enough to visit this place in San Francisco.

icalifornia said...

It seems like you had a wonderful time. Indeed, California, and especially San Francisco is a great place to visit. I've been there once and I surely want to go back again.