Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Television celebrity for landscaping shares green tips in class



I'm a glutton for punishment, mostly due to my inability to utter the words, "No thank you, I'm terribly busy right now." Or, "GET THE @#$^ OUT OF MY FACE!!!" depending on my mood. So this fall I once again, overly-ambitiously, bit off more than I could chew.

I not only began my stint as a professor in the Santa Barbara City College Environmental Horticulture Department - inventing a rigorous 3-unit / 45 hour curriculum out of thin air - but also enrolled in Journalism 101, thinking I'd have time in my "retirement" (read "lay-off") to hone my self-taught writing and reporting skills. I only lasted a few weeks, quickly realizing that I wouldn't learn much without investing a lot of time that I didn't really have.

But lo and behold, Andrea Ellickson, one of my Residential Landscape Design students, was simultaneously enrolled in her own journalism class and thought I would make an interesting subject for one of her assignments. Her story was good enough to merit publication in The Channels, the campus print and on-line newspaper.

And a tip of my stingy-brim hat to Bilge Akinci for her lovely photo in my favorite garden in the whole wide world.

For your edification, here's the article.

Television celebrity for landscaping shares green tips in class - Features

5 comments:

Kat said...

You look quite dapper and at home in the garden. Congrats on being the interesting subject of an interesting article. Looking forward to the continued testing of version 2

Shirley Bovshow "EdenMaker" said...

Great photo Billy. I'm selecting the "share this" button on this post!
shirley

"Daffodil Planter" Charlotte Germane said...

I'd like an 8 x 10 autographed glossy, please!

susan harris said...

Wow, she's a good writer. She's convinced me that you're going to have your own reality show on basic cable any day now. Only half kidding.

Boulder Patio Fire Pits said...

Would have been great to attend that class...