Friday, January 1, 2010

When Bad Taste Meet Power Tools at Fine Gardening


[If you didn't see this article at my Fine Gardening blog, here's a second chance...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What better way to close this tumultuous last year of the first decade of the 21st century than by writing a “list” article? You’ve probably read your share of them: Top 100 Tech Toys, or 50 Celebrity Arrests For Acting Foolish In Public, or 10 iPhone Apps To Improve Your Dental Hygiene.

Now it’s my turn. Since starting this Cool Green Gardens blog in April I’ve written about water conservation, helpful design ideas for your garden, posted a video interview about coyote pee and shared just plain beautiful images of enchanting gardens.

I enjoy bringing you that kinda stuff. But deep inside me, pulsing like trapped magma, beats the heart of a smartass garden critic. This dark side was revealed in my June 5 blog titled Why Not Replace Your Plants With Styrofoam? in which I threw virtual rotten eggs at the worst examples of ugliness and environmentally bone-headed gardening practices. Boy, did THAT attract an avalanche of comments.

So why not do it again!

I'll fill you in on the rest of the bizarre stuff right here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You certainly hit my pet peeve. All the squares, orbs & oddly undulating surfaces around town. It never ceases to amaze me how people completely take the character out of the plant by shearing them into shapes.

Garden design plain and simple said...

Yikes, that's what you get for using unskilled workers!

At least they can buy some new plants with the money they saved on hiring cheap labour, let's hope they dont use the same people to plant them though..